1) You are known for your aggressive style that some people consider reckless, how do you make it work for you?
Gus Hansen: Of course it is a little bit exaggerated because they only show the most exciting hands on tv. Its not like all the time I play deuce four. But it seems like by doing that some of the time it has created a reckless reputation for me and I try and use that to my advantage in other situations. So it is paying dividends here and there.
2) You play in the big game at the Bellagio, usually a mixed game, of them all which game is your favorite?
Gus Hansen: I really like poker and of course they are different games, but it's all poker. If you know how to play one game then you know how to play them all. It's just different rules. In all games you have to be aggressive, keep your opponents guessing, and be able to read people well. I like stud a lot, I like triple draw, and I like no limit holdem. I like all kinds of games. I like poker.
3) Who would you least like to see at a final table with you?
Gus Hansen: Most of the players in the big game are the toughest and best players. Phil ivey is a really good player. And David Benyamine, a French guy is playing very very well. He's a very good reader, it seems like he has a good grip on me, so he's been messing me up a little bit. But I plan on getting back at him. So against those two guys i'd really have to play my best to stay in the game.
4) If you didn't play poker for a living what would you be doing?
Gus Hansen: Probably playing some other type of game.
5) What has been your biggest loss at the poker table?
Gus Hansen: I've been stuck a million a couple of times
6) There were rumors all over the internet a few months ago that you went broke. Do you pay attention to the rumors and if so how do you respond to them?
Gus Hansen: No, it's kinda like when people say I play every hand - it's not true. There's always lot of rumors and I did lose a lot in the big game. It's really no secret. Early last year I did lose a lot in that game. I wasn't broke, but you know how everything has been exaggerated like suddenly I've lost 12 million, now I just smile at it.
7) Do you gamble outside of poker?
Gus Hansen: I would say I've had a rather bad sports betting career and I would like to change that around but it seems like maybe it's best to just quit.
8) What is the craziest bet you've made outside of poker?
Gus Hansen: I made a couple of bets with friends of mine like we'll be sitting in a plane on our way to la and it's been delayed and bet when it will take off. I bet over 2 o'clock and he bets under for 5k we just make funky bets like that. We'll bet on the golf course or tennis, or whatever we do.
9) What sports are your favorites?
Gus Hansen: I used to be a pretty decent tennis player. But I love everything with balls really. Tennis golf, soccer, squash. Golf. Anything. I really enjoy sports a lot.
10) Where are you from?
Gus Hansen: I am a citizen of Denmark, a resident of Monaco and I gamble a lot in Vegas. So I stick around all over.
Play Online Poker